- Hypothyroidism Signs
- Hyperthyroidism Signs
- Inflammation of the thyroid (Hashimoto)
- If you have these symptoms, you may have thyroid disease !!
- Hypothyroidism in children
- Thyroid diseases and obesity connection
- Can weight gain or loss be explained by hypothyroidism?
- Which antibodies are analysed in thyroid inflammation?
- What are the complications of hyperthyroidism?
- New technology laser therapy for Hashimoto disease (hypothyroidism)
- Laser therapy for Hashimoto tyroiditis
Address: Abdi İpekçi Caddesi No: 57, Reasürans İş Hanı 1, Kat 3, Nişantaşı / İstanbul
Phone: 0535 642 07 73
Under or Over-function of Thyroid Gland » Hypothyroidism in children
Congenital hypothyroidism is the most common endocrinologic disease in infancy and causes irreversible mental retardation due to delayed diagnosis and treatment. TSH measurements have been made in our country since 2006 and newborn babies are screened.
In our country, it occurs one in every 3000 births and it is more common in Down Syndrome. Congenital hypothyroidism has various causes.
- Hypothyroidism caused by iodine deficiency is the easiest to treat. It occurs due to iodine deficiency or hypothyroidism in the mother. Therefore, iodine intake is very important during pregnancy.
- The absence of thyroid gland or undeveloped thyroid gland, thyroid cells' inability to catch iodine and inability to synthesize hormones are the rarer causes.
The most common problems are growth retardation, speech and walking problems. Lack of energy, constipation, edematous face and growth of tongue draw attention in children. These symptoms are seen in children with severe hypothyroidism. In such a case, it is necessary to visit a Pediatric Endocrinologist.