- Hypothyroidism Signs
- Hyperthyroidism Signs
- Inflammation of the thyroid (Hashimoto)
- If you have these symptoms, you may have thyroid disease !!
- Hypothyroidism in children
- Thyroid diseases and obesity connection
- Can weight gain or loss be explained by hypothyroidism?
- Which antibodies are analysed in thyroid inflammation?
- What are the complications of hyperthyroidism?
- New technology laser therapy for Hashimoto disease (hypothyroidism)
- Laser therapy for Hashimoto tyroiditis
Address: Abdi İpekçi Caddesi No: 57, Reasürans İş Hanı 1, Kat 3, Nişantaşı / İstanbul
Phone: 0535 642 07 73
Goiters and Varieties » Goitre
What is goitre?
The enlargement of the thyroid gland is called "goitre". If there is no nodule development during this enlargement and if the hormones are normal, it is called "diffuse goitre" or "simple goitre". If more than 10% of the population have goitre, it is called "endemic goitre". Turkey is an endemic region.
Causes of Goitre
The most common cause of diffuse goitre is iodine deficiency. When iodine deficiency occurs, the production of thyroid hormones diminishes and it causes the thyroid gland to enlarge, causing the pituitary gland in the brain to secrete TSH hormone. Cabbage and cabbage-derived foods, corn contain goitre-promoting ingredients, but it is not advised to stop or restrict these foods. Apart from these, selenium deficiency is also a factor for goitre development.
In the examination, the thyroid gland is grown without nodule, in other words diffusely. Hormones are normal. Antibodies are negative. Hormone (Levothyroxine) therapy can be recommended for children and adolescents. If the goitre is large and there are compression findings, surgery is recommended.